Arsenal Monday! Merson-Wenger claim, Almiron to sign, Sancho update and target wants move
Here is a roundup of all todays Arsenal headlines.
Fresh reports have claimed Arsenal are set to sign striker Miguel Almiron from Atlanta United for £15 million in the January window.
Despite having Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette already at the club, there has been some serious speculation that Danny Welbeck will follow Aaron Ramsey out the door at the end of the season after failing to agree a new contract, meaning Unai Emery will need another forward to fill the void of the Englishman.
And they have targeted Atlanta star Almiron, who has been impressing a number of European clubs after scoing 12 goals in 32 appearances for MLS side this season.
Last week, the president of Atlanta United Derren Eales confirmed Almiron would join an English side when the transfer window re-opens in the winter, stating: ‘Almiron’s future is already decided and he will go to England in the European winter market.’
And after the Paraguay international previously admitted it would be a dream to join a Premier League club, the Daily Mirror website has claimed Arsenal will complete a £15 million transfer deal when the winter window opens up in just a few months time, as Emery continues to rebuild his side.
Atlanta’s manager Tata Martino believes Almiron’s move to the Premier League will change the perception of the MLS in England.
‘The moment when Miguel Almiron leaves and goes to your country (England) then I think there will be a different view of MLS,’ he said.
Meanwhile, Arsenal legend Paul Paul Merson has urged Manchester United to replace Jose Mourinho with Gunners legend Arsene Wenger, when they sack the Portuguese boss.
Despite engineering stunning 3-2 victory over Newcastle United at the weekend, there are still many reports in the media which have suggested the special one is living on borrowed time at Old Trafford, with the fans and hierarchy turning on him for his style of play, man management and the fact they are falling further behind the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool.
That led to speculation former Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane was heading for the job at United, with many believing the Frenchman was ready to take over well before the January transfer window, so he could do a few deals and put his own spin on the side.
But Merson believes United could do a lot worse than turn to former Gunners manager Wenger as their potential new boss, telling Sky Sports: ‘Seriously, that’s not the worst idea in the world. You’ve got to look at what Wenger did.
‘You don’t have to go out and buy £70m to £80m players with some of the gems he’s got over time.
‘It’s not a bad shout. Sometimes you just need a fresh start.’
And Borussia Dortmund say they are aware of interest in Arsenal and Liverpool transfer target Jadon Sancho, but there is no release clause in his contract.
The eighteen year old winger has become one of the most exciting talents in the Bundesliga after his move from Manchester City and he already has eight assists and one goal in 10 appearances this season, despite the fact his game time has been limited.
His skill, pace and creativity has caught the attentions of Unai Emery and Jurgen Klopp, who are still keen to improve on their squads in the coming transfer windows and are ready to make a move for Sancho should Dortmund be ready to sell.
He has even earned a call-up to the England National side, with Gareth Southgate excited to see if Sancho can bring that excitement to the National side.
And while Dortmund have moved to reward Sancho with a contract extension until 2022, they are aware of the interest in the young man.
The club’s head of licenced player department, Sebastian Kehl, said this new deal was “without a release clause” as a result of interest in the player.
“We are not naïve to not take note of other clubs’ interest,” he told Sky Germany.
“The lads are doing a grand job right now. And thus, there will always be enquiries for the players we have here.
“Especially for players like Jadon Sancho, who has been invited to the England senior squad for the first time.”
And finally Reports have now claimed Arsenal have made contact with Mexico star Hector Herrera about a possible move to the Emirates, as the player wants to leave Porto.
Despite the fact Unai Emery splashed out £70 million in the summer transfer window to acquire a number of new players, the Spaniard is still looking to improve his squad in the coming winter window, as he looks to push on from the solid start his Arsenal side have made to the Premier League season.
The signings of Bernd Leno, Sokratis and Stephen Lichsteiner have all improved the back-line while the acquisition on Lucas Torreira will give protection just ahead, a position which has become a real issue for the Gunners over the last few seasons.
And now the TMW website has claimed that they have switched their attentions to 28-year old Herrera, who has been the mainstay of Porto’s midfield for the past five seasons and helped them to Primeira Liga glory last term.
It is stated that Porto have already rejected several offers made for Herrera, but the player is aware of the interest in him and wants to leave. Porto have attempted to tie him down to a new contract, but Herrera is said to have rejected an extension on three separate occasions.
And he also caught the eye during Mexico’s stay at the World Cup in Russia, helping his National side to the knockout stages with some standout performances.