Hysal deal set, Mertens eyes Sarri link-up, Jorginho stunner, Pep Niguez boost in Chelsea Wednesday
Here is the daily roundup of Chelsea news, gossip and transfer speculation from icfootballnews.
Napoli-based journalist Emanuele Cammaroto has claimed Chelsea are all set to sign defender Elsaid Hysaj in the coming transfer window.
Chelsea, who are firmly in the chase for a top four spot and Champions League football next season, are seeking reinforcements in the coming transfer windows in a bid to get back to the very top of the game and challenge Manchester City for the League title.
And one area of the pitch that Sarri is keen to improve on is defence, as that is one of their weakest areas of the pitch.
That led to speculation that Chelsea are prepared to sign Hysaj for a fee of £50 million, with some reports even suggesting that Sarri ‘had secured’ a deal for the Napoli star.
And now, amid all the transfer speculation, Cammaroto has claimed that the Blues are indeed set to sign the defender.
He was quoted on the TMW website: “Ancelotti is ready to let him leave, and Aurelio de Laurentiis didn’t appreciate the take it or leave it offer on the contract, as the renewal terms were too high.
“The goodbye is already on the agenda, the Albanian will go to his mentor Sarri.”
He added: “All that’s left is to know if it’ll happen in June or January.
“The potential summer ban for Chelsea could make the negotiations start suddenly, but Napoli want the €50m from the clause and not a penny less.
“The agent will try around €40m, but in the end they’ll meet in the middle at €45m.” (READ MORE)
The agent of Chelsea star Jorginho has claimed Manchester United and Liverpool wanted to sign the Italian before the midfielder joined Maurizio Sarri’s side.
After months of speculation and rumours, Chelsea finally managed to nail down the signature of the midfielder after completing a deal for Sarri, who became Roman Abramovic’s top target after turning Napoli into one of the best sides in Serie A.
Jorginho has taken to the Premier League in brilliant fashion and has already become one of the most creative in the English top-flight, with Sarri knowing how to get the best out of the former Napoli star.
But it could have been so different according to his agent Joao Santos, who claimed both United and Liverpool had made contact to get the Chelsea midfielder signed up.
‘There had been calls from Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham and Chelsea,’ Jorginho’s agent Joao Santos told ESPN Brasil.
‘In a way, all the great English clubs saw Jorginho because he was already in the Italian team.
‘From this, they came for him and he went to Chelsea based on an agreement with Napoli. ‘Jorginho still had two years of contract and the last word was from Napoli.
‘In that moment, the best deal for Napoli was Chelsea.
‘It was not only the financial proposal, but also the power and the will of Napoli weighed heavily, who did not want to sell him because they would have to invest a lot to get a replacement.
‘It would not be an immediate replacement.’ (READ MORE)
Napoli forward Dries Mertens has hinted he would relish the opportunity to link up with Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri again.
Mertens has been in sensational form for the Italians once again this season and already has 10 goals in just 12 stars for the Serie A outfit this season, to keep him on par with Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi.
His performances has lead to some speculation that Chelsea could make a move in the coming transfer windows, as Sarri is desperate to add a proven top-level striker to his line-up, and having already worked with Mertens at Napoli, the attacker is high up on the shopping list.
Now he has he has suggested he would be open to moving to Chelsea after discussing his future before the 1-0 loss to Liverpool in the Champions League.
‘I love it here,’ the 31-year-old told The Times.
‘But maybe in one year, I’m free, so maybe you never know, maybe Sarri is going to call me. We will see.
‘Sarri does not have an off button,’ he added.
‘I think he sleeps one hour a night and he is always thinking about football. Maurizio Sarri reflects on
‘Maybe because he had less time because he arrived late in the game and he is playing catch-up? I learnt a lot from him.
‘The thing I loved most about him is that you feel you are playing with 12 not 11. He puts the line very high so the strikers feel the midfielders are close.
‘I’m sure now Sarri is learning things about London. He knows so many facts, he’s crazy but interesting.’ (READ MORE)
Manchester City are not preparing to break their transfer record for Atletico Madrid midfielder and Chelsea target Saul Niguez, according to Pep Guardiola.
Niguez has developed into one of the most creative and productive players in La Liga under the guidance of Diego Simeone and is now regarded as one of the best talents in world football.
His performances over the past few seasons has caught the attentions of both Chelsea and City, who are both keen to keep improving their squads and bring in something different to their attacks.
Chelsea are keen to add a bit of youth to the squad, as the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Pedro and even Willian are no spring chickens anymore and all three have been linked with moves away at the end of the season.
City on the other-hand already have one of the best squads in Europe, but Gaurdiola is keen to keep player competing for positions and knows Niguez would help a few of his players reach another level.
However, amid speculation that City are ready to spend big and bring the young man to England, he has handed Chelsea a massive boost by admitting they are not interested in Niguez.
“Manchester City have interest in 125 players in the last day, so one more,” he said on the Sky Sports website.
“Sometimes I read ‘Pep Guardiola is interested in this player’. Still I didn’t know him.
“[Saul] is a fantastic player but we are not interested in him. He is an Atletico Madrid player who is going to stay there for a long time because he is an exceptional player.” (READ MORE)