£146m Coutinho deal on cards, Kante on way?, Eriksen opens door to deal, Higuain-worlds best in Chelsea Saturday news and gossip
Here is the daily roundup of Chelsea news, gossip and transfer speculation.
Meanwhile, fresh reports have now claimed Barcelona are open to doing a deal with Chelsea for unhappy midfielder Philippe Coutinho.
Barca splashed out £146m to bring Coutinho to the Camp Nou last January but the Brazilian has struggled to rekindle the form of his time at Anfield and reports on Spanish publication Marca have claimed they will now be open to doing a deal at the end of the season, for the right price of course.
Manchester United are also reportedly monitoring Coutinho’s situation, so it could be a battle between the two Premier League giants for the signature of the Brazilian superstar.
Here is what we think on Kante and Coutinho.
Kante is the best holding midfielder In world football and should be played there, especially as Jorginho has done nothing to make that position his.
Coutinho would be a world class deal for Chelsea, it is that simple.
Christian Eriksen has rejected three contract extensions from Tottenham, alerting the likes of Chelsea.
The 26-year-old is out of contract at the end of next season, with Spurs fearful of having to cash in on the Denmark international this summer as they simply cannot afford to let him leave the club for nothing.
Spurs have so far tried to offer Eriksen the kind of wages that they believe that a player of his quality deserves, the latest rumoured to be around the £110,000-a-week mark, which has swiftly been rejected by the Danish star, according to the Sky Sports website.
And that has alerted the likes of Chelsea to a possible deal, as Blues boss Maurizio Sarri is a massive fan of the playmaker and would love to add him to the squad in the summer, especially with speculation Willian and N’Golo Kante could both depart the club for Barcelona and PSG.
Meanwhile, AC Milan defender Alessio Romagnoli has claimed Chelsea have signed the ‘best striker in the world’ in Gonzalo Higuaín.
After months of speculation about his future, Higuaín decided to end his stay with Milan to push for a move to Chelsea, in a bid to link-up with former Napoli boss Sarri, who helped the Argentine to 36-goals in one season for the Italian giants.
Higuain opened his account for the Blues at the weekend, scoring a brace as Maurizio Sarri’s side won against Huddersfield Town 5-0, and now Romagnoli has admitted that he was sad to see Higuaín leave the club as the 31-year-old is the ‘best striker in the world’.
Romagnoli said: ‘There’s no bitterness. ‘I still consider him the best striker in the world. It’s disappointing, but he made his choices and decided to leave, and we respect them.
‘He’s a friend of mine and if he’s happy then it’s all good. Now we have other players who have no regrets.’
Eden Hazard has claimed he expects to do great things with new Chelsea signing Gonzalo Higuaín.
After weeks of speculation, Maurizio Sarri finally got his wish for the signing of Higuaín after AC Milan decided to cut-short his loan deal after a disappointing few months at the San Siro, having only scored eight goals in 22-appearances for the Italian giants.
But so far he has been impressive in his first few games for Chelsea and opened up his account at the weekend against Huddersfield, as the Blues ran out 5-0 winners, and Hazard has admitted he has been impressed by the Argentine and ‘expects big things’ from the goal-scorer.
‘When we have the ball, we have a lot of freedom, not just me but the striker [Gonzalo Higuain] and the right [attacker] Willian or Pedro, so we can move a lot,’ Hazard told the Times.
‘I’ve only played two games with Higuain and I know we can do something great together, not only with him but also with the other strikers, the other winger.
‘Chelsea is not about Higuain and Hazard, it is about 25 players. But Higuain is a fantastic striker.’
Shock reports have claimed Paris Saint-Germain have been alerted to N’Golo Kante’s situation at Chelsea.
Regarded as the best holding midfielder in world football and an integral part of the Chelsea side since his move to Stamford Bridge, Blues boss Maurizio Sarri has decided to play Kante in a more advanced, attacking role than what the Frenchman prefers, with the Italian keen to employ Jorginho in the heart of midfield.
Kante has not looked like the same player and has been slated for some of his performances, which has now reportedly caused a rift between himself and the Italian boss, who has so far refused to change his system.
And reports on the Sky Sports website have claimed The Ligue 1 champions have long held an interest in Kante and hope to take advantage of 27-year-old’s frustrations by guaranteeing that position at the Parc des Princes.
Kante only recently signed a new contract at Stamford Bridge and has a desire to stay put, but he is not happy playing in his preferred role and will take a move to his homeland if the opportunity arises.