Xavi fires warning to £137 million Frenchman ahead of possible Chelsea transfer
Barcelona boss Xavi has warned Ousmane Dembele that he needs to continue putting in effort amid reported transfer interest from the likes of Chelsea.
Dembele has greatly frustrated since arriving at the Camp Nou. Due to a combination of both poor form and persistent injuries, he has made just 126 appearances for the Spanish giants, scoring 30 goals
However, there has been some shock speculation in the media that Chelsea may be open to the idea of bringing him to the Premier League in order to add a bit more of a goal-threat to that Attack.
Dembele enjoyed his best form at Dortmund under current Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel, so it would not be a surprise to see the two reunited at Stamford Bridge, especially as Chelsea know they may be able to get the Frenchman for a bargain.
And amid the speculation, Xavi – who took the reins at the club from Ronald Koeman earlier this season – has had his say on the current situation by hinting that Dembele needs to do his talking on the pitch amid transfer links with both Arsenal and Chelsea.
Speaking ahead of Barcelona’s Copa del Rey showdown with Linares Deportivo on Wednesday night, the former midfielder said: “I have already said it to him, I am waiting for him to make an effort
“The situation cannot be better for him. Let’s see what he decides.
“I’m hoping that he puts in effort before deciding. I am calm and waiting on an update.
“It does not depend on me. It depends on the club and him. He should think about himself and his future.”
Look, there is no doubt that Dembele has massive amounts of potential, but the player is just too injury prone. If Chelsea just want to add to their squad, then he could be a decent signing.
But he is no longer a regular starter and not any better than what Chelsea already have